Sunday, May 16, 2010

This post is so powerful that it's not necessary to talk about it

I think my argument is so powerful it's not necessary to talk about it
- Rick Giles

If you haven't seen it yet, this is a quote from Rick Giles, who appeared on New Zealand's Sunrise (TV3 Breakfast show) program at the end of March this year. He's talking (ranting, even) about his support for Edison Hour, an anti-Earth Hour, and... well, you should just watch it:



Personally, I'm not convinced. But there's no need to talk about it. As you may have gathered, Rick is (was) a member of ACT on Campus, the University body associated with New Zealand's delightful liberal party ACT, which is currently one of the country's governing parties.

Of course Rick Giles should not be seen as representative of this party, and was dismissed from ACT on Campus shortly afterwards. Not apparently because he was clearly failing at communication, rationality and maintaining his mental faculties, but because he formulated a response video and the party had ordered him to desist.



It's not that his views are, to put it mildly, fucking batshit insane. His views are still fairly representative of ACT (he was, after all, the president of ACT on Campus), but they canned him because he wouldn't shut up. Which, I suppose, is reason enough.

Rick Giles did, however, have the last laugh: Sunrise was cancelled shortly afterwards and aired for the final time on April 8. Clearly, someone tried to disagree with his overly powerful argument.


Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane.

Anyway, on to other matters. After much deliberation, I applied for, got offered and started a new full-time job on April 1. The result has been a substantial increase in income, which I'm not entirely sure what to do with so I just throw it liberally at poorly thought-out schemes until the problem goes away. Man, my life is so hard. Actually, if I was doing anywhere near as much study for my history degree as I ought to be, it'd be pretty hectic. Thankfully, I'm easily-distracted, poorly-motivated and lazy - yesterday was spent playing Chrono Trigger on the DS and flash games. And eating potato chips while hiding from the weather (which was seriously intense, the neighbouring building had a waterfall running down the side of it).

One of the reasons the post stream has been drying up a bit around here is that effort must be saved to write late-night assignments. Also, been thinking a lot without bothering to make the effort to put thoughts into written form and set them in a cohesive, legible and comprehensive order. Eventually either my work or my studies will become less demanding and I can work on other plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment